Thursday, December 2, 2010

Simphiwe Dana

I have been listening to Simphiwe Dana since she came on to the scene a couple of years ago. In all these years I have truly enjoyed listening to her music, one thing tough that has bugged me througout these years is a live performances.

In the ealry years I used to truly believe that Dana was just a shy person who didn't want to be in the limelight and was just caught up in the business of selling records. I troed to justify to myself why her music was so strong and powerful, so inspiring but realised that it cant just be relegated to the shyness, Simphiwe should have known what business she was getting into and the requirments thereoff.

So for a while I decided I wasnt going to torture myself with her heavy clothed, dreary performances, but this was until she released her latest offering "Kulture Noir"  which is pure magic! I even saw a video of Simphiwe in a nice top and pants dancing on the street, I thought  to mysel wait a minute this person has transformed if she can be this care free on a video imagine what she can do on stage?

So naturally when the banners and TV ads started popping all over about her live performance with a 21 piece ochestra I couldnt contain my joy, I was beyond myself with excitement, that was until the SHOW.

I mean why wouldnt everything go wrong? The show for instance started 1h35 minutes after the advertised time and by then most of the audience had had more than enough at the bar, so the beggining of the show was just chaos, if you know what 600-700 drunk people can do.

When she finally came on she managed to pull through the initial noise and captured the audience and three songs later there was still no Ochestra wghich I didnt mind but she then had to PEE to my and many people horror never had I gone to any show where a musician had to dash to the loo when she had captured the attention and imagination of the audience!

from this point it just went pear shaped, from her amateurish handlers, who failed to inform people that they arent allowed to film the show to Sipho Sithole jumping up and down on the wing telling her to wrap up songs ;-(

In the end the show was saved by Dana's vocal abilities and talent, but if you asked me if I would pay money to see Simphiwe Dana perform live I would tell you straight to your face HELL NO wont even go if it's a free show, but I will definitely buy her music, for my personal music collection, for friends birthday's and special occassions because Simphiwe is a special occasion kinda lady handled by a BAD management team.

TheatreLover

No comments:

Post a Comment